In addition to about 97 books and other documents related to the Monotype machines, we also have a library of over 100 books related to papermaking, bookbinding, paper decorating, origami, typography, and printing. The Monotype books were coming with me the the upcoming Monotype University and I wanted to label them, so I decided it was time to make some bookplates.
I managed to cast some type, set it, print the bookplates, clean the press, and put away the type all in one afternoon (although I fired up the heater on the caster in the morning), which, being the procrastinating sort of person, I find pretty impressive.
We had one bundle of handmade paper that was double-business-card size, so I printed two bookplates on each, and we will wet-tear them apart to simulate a deckle edge. The paper is not sized so wet-tearing works quite well. The unfortunate thing is that the paper is made from leftover pulp from a children’s’ papermaking workshop and so contains quite a bit of glitter. That is not of itself a problem, but some of the glitter was still stuck together in stacks as it would come out of the cutting die, thus making quite a thick hard lump in the paper. I had to pick these out not only because these lumps could damage the book the plate was put in, but could also damage the type I was using the print them.
I have a couple of short videos of the printing in progress, but I have do some editing and sound clean-up before putting them on YouTube.